Restore previous mails without losing new

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
fbarajas

Restore previous mails without losing new

Post by fbarajas »

Hi!

As we all know, if we restore an email account to a previous version, all the "new" mails get lost. For example, if today (August 26) I restore an email account backup from last week (for example, August 21), all mails received, sent, etc. from August 21 to August 26 will be lost, since I'm recovering a "snapshot" from August 21.

Is there a workaround for this? Any way I can restore old mail WITHOUT losing the new ones? I tried using "Download" instead of "Restore", and I download a ".tar.gz" file with the complete directories and files to my computer. Is there any way to "read" this backup on Windows as mails and not only as files? Maybe a way to convert that downloaded "tar.gz" file to an outlook format? Any solution?

Thanks!
JetAppsAnton
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Restore previous mails without losing new

Post by JetAppsAnton »

Hello fbarajas,

I see that you've reached out to our support team and that they have addressed your questions on your ticket.

I'd just like to share that merging existing data with backup data has been implemented on our latest major release, JetBackup 5! With this release, not only will you be able to merge emails, but the user's home directory files as well! For more information about this feature and our release, please visit: https://request.jetapps.com/topic/resto ... ting-files

And just to reiterate what our support team recommended as far as a workaround for JetBackup 4, you may set aside the current emails on a separate location, execute a restore, then sync back the emails you set aside prior. As for reading the emails via Windows(Outlook), JetBackup stores emails in the format used by cPanel so you will need to convert them to a Windows(.eml) readable format.

Best Regards,
JetApps Team.
Anton, JetApps Team