S3 Remote Backup Scheduling

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
247creative

S3 Remote Backup Scheduling

Post by 247creative »

To the team at JetApps,

We have recently purchased a JetBackup license for one of our WHM servers, and had a quick question about configuring scheduled remote backups to Amazon S3.

In the scenario we have in mind, we would like cPanel to carry out its normal backups (which are done daily, weekly and monthly and stored locally on the server), but use JetBackup to send the cPanel backups to S3 when the weekly and monthly ones are run (thus excluding the dailies from being backed up remotely).

We have previously been using WHM's own S3 backup feature, and while this works perfectly well, as the server has quite a lot of data on it, loads can get quite high while backups are running, and there's no way of choosing a schedule for which backups are sent to S3, hence the decision to use JetBackup.

To my mind, the way to proceed with this would be as follows:

1: Set up S3 as a Backup "Destination" in JetBackup
2: Set up two backup "Jobs" in JetBackup with the "Backup Engine" set to "cPanel", and the destination set to the S3 account. One job would be set to be run weekly, and the other monthly.

I am assuming that using the method above, JetBackup would only use cPanel's own backups, rather than creating more of its own.

Seems simple enough, though we would be grateful if you could confirm that would be the way to proceed for our particular use case?

I will very much look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes,

Alex
elialum
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: S3 Remote Backup Scheduling

Post by elialum »

Hi Alex,

In order to fully utilises the power of JetBackup, you will need to fully migrate to JetBackup's engine :)
I assume you are using compressed tar.gz backups, and this is why your server load spikes.

Using JetBackup, we will push files directly from the user's homedir to the S3 remote destination, and after a full rotation run - backups will be pushed incrementally (only changes). Using this method will also give your users the power of self restores, including single files, database, full account and more.

We do have the option to create a backup job for cPanel engine, but this is for "read only" mode so you will be able to restore from cPanel created backups (we also changed the GUI about it in the last version to make it more clear).

I hope it make more sense now :)

Thanks,
Eli.
247creative

Post by 247creative »

Hi Eli,

Thanks so much for the message, and that sounds good!

Out of interest, is this something we could pay you guys to set up on one of our servers?

I will very much look forward to hearing from you.

Alex
elialum
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by elialum »

Hi Alex,

Just a follow up to see which backup approach you took eventually ? :)

If you are still considering JetBackup, please a open a ticket with us and ask for a configuration review (free of charge).

Eli.