Best configuration for using least amount of backup space for daily/weekly/monthly/hourly backups?

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
hstraf

Best configuration for using least amount of backup space for daily/weekly/monthly/hourly backups?

Post by hstraf »

Hello,

I am trying to understand what is the best way to configure jetBackup, so it uses the least amount of disk space.

We want to have:

Daily Backups (7 backup retention - one for each day)
Weekly Backups (2 backup retention - one for each week)
Monthly Backup (2 backup retention - one for each month)
Hourly Backups (24 backup retention - one for each hour)

Here are my questions:

1. My understanding is that we need to create FOUR jobs. Each job will have a different schedule (daily/weekly/monthly/hourly). Is this correct?

2. I have created a backup destination on a local attached drive called "/backup". Should I use a different "Remote folder on destination:" name for each job? Or is it better if four jobs use the same backup destination folder?

3. When I schedule the daily/weekly/monthly jobs, should I set them to run at the same time? (ie: at 2am) On some days, all three jobs will need to run. Will they run concurrently? Or will Daily run first, and then Weekly, and then Monthly? (Sequentially)

4. My understanding is that with the setup above (Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Hourly), we will have FOUR full backups, and then each job type (Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Hourly) will create incremental backups afterwards? So.. let's say we have an account that is 1gb in size. This means that for the first run of all FOUR jobs, we will have total backup usage of 4gb. (Four different full backups.) Then if customer makes a change of 10mb to their files, the next backup for all four jobs will add an additional 40mb to the total backup usage. Is this correct?

Thanks.
elialum
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Best configuration for using least amount of backup space for daily/weekly/monthly/hourly backups?

Post by elialum »

Hi,

Currently, when using multiple scheduling you will be loosing lot's of space as indeed you have to create a job for each schedule. However, with the latest 3.3 JetBackup we added a multischeduling feature, that will give you the power to create as many schedules as you want - all incremental to the latest full backup.

JetBackup 3.3 is due to be released to EDGE tier somewhere in the next two weeks, so my advise currently is to set your auto update to pickup EDGE tier, and wait patiently :)

Thanks,
Eli.