QNAP rsync issues

cPanel, Industry leading hosting platform with world-class support.
cameronperth

QNAP rsync issues

Post by cameronperth »

Hello,

We have just purchased and set up a new QNAP TS-432XU-2G (https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/ts-4 ... s/hardware) with 2 x 8TB WD RED mirrored RAID1.

We got three cPanel servers and they are all running Cloudlinux 7.7 on KVM.

The QNAP server is located on the same network however in a separate Datacentre. We have over 100 accounts on two servers and over 70 accounts on one server. We try to take a full incremental backup every 6 hours using SSH (rsync).

The current average space is using around 400GB - 600GB data per server.

The first four days worked fine with no issues at all, with each backup taking 30-45 minutes to complete. over the weekend I logged on to ensure everything is working fine however, all three servers were taking more than 7 hours to backup.

I have not restricted the backups and given unlimited bandwidth and not restricted (in terms of ionice, renice or cloudlinux LVE).

I have logged on to the QNAP and the RAM is using around 20% cpu is around 30%. IO is like < 1%

Is there anything that can be recommended so I can get the time back down to < 1 hour. All servers are set to run 2 hours apart.
ofir
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: QNAP rsync issues

Post by ofir »

Hi,

Can you please share some more info with us,
What is the backed up data size?
Are the backup jobs finished with completed status?

Can you please also share the destination and the backup setup?

I'm looking forward to your replay.

Regards,
Ofir, JetApps team.
cameronperth

Post by cameronperth »

ofir wrote:What is the backed up data size?
around 10-12GB of changes

The first backup was around 300GB for the initial backup. I'm doing full incremental backups uncompressed. The Job is completed however it takes 7 hours 30 minutes.
ofir wrote:Can you please also share the destination and the backup setup?
Not on a public forum?
ofir
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ofir »

cameronperth wrote:Not on a public forum?
We don't need the sensitive data only the settings.

Anyway, please open a support ticket for our team to get a closer look at your issue.

Thanks.
cameronperth

Post by cameronperth »

Thanks... I reformatted the volumes in the QNAP as thin volumes and chucked an SSD for caching three days ago.

I also changed the Rsync Binary Location to "rsync" and the backups are now running between 35 minutes and 50 minutes. So far we've backed up around 3 days on ALL servers doing incremental backups

We needed this to be done this week as it is the quietest time of the year of changing our backup systems over from another system.
Attachments
2020-01-01_1426.png
2020-01-01_1426.png (25.19 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
ofir
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ofir »

Hi,

Please open a support ticket for our team and provide your servers login credentials for a better understanding of your issue.

Thanks.